Automobile Accidents

Whenever you are in an automobile accident, you should contact the police at the earliest opportunity. Insurance companies normally will not pay claims unless an accident report is on file and in most cases the law requires you to report an accident to the police. Having a third party available as a witness to what people said immediately after the accident can prevent questionable claims. While it is important that you report an accident to the police you should remember that the police do not determine fault. In most cases you cannot introduce the fact that a police officer issued a ticket at a trial to determine civil liability.

Kansas has a modified comparative negligence law. To recover damages a person must be less than 50% responsible for the accident. Whenever you have an accident involving a claim for damages, you should consult an attorney about your rights and duties under the law.

We give free consultations for auto accident cases. Call us at (785) 841-4700 to set up an appointment.